It’s soon to be the most wonderful time of the year! As a pet owner, nothing can ruin the holiday moment quite like a trip to the emergency vet. Fortunately, there are many precautions you can take to help ensure that your furry friends stay safe during the holidays.
The easiest way to avoid these issues is an ounce of prevention. Have your vet’s information handy, as well as the number and location of an emergency vet that will be open on holidays and weekends, just in case. Two of the biggest safety offenders are decorations, and food.
Decorations are naturally attractive to pets. They’re new, they smell different, and they’re shiny and inviting. But, there are dangers to be aware of, including:
- Christmas trees, which can tip over if pets try to climb on them or play with the ornaments.
- Water additives for Christmas trees can be toxic. Do not use them if you have pets in your home.
- Electrical lights and candles can cause burns and fires if pets chew on the cords or knock them over.
- Holiday plants such as poinsettias, balsam, pine, cedar and holly can be poisonous to pets.
While it’s tempting to share your holiday feast with your pet, it’s best to stick to pet food and treats only. Some major food no-no’s for pets include:
- Chocolate for both dogs AND cats;
- Sweets, gum, and baked goods, as they may contain xylitol which is toxic to dogs;
- Fatty cuts of turkey and turkey skin, which can cause pancreatitis in pets;
- Any table scrap, as there are hidden dangers in seemingly harmless foods like onions, raisins, and grapes
If you’re looking to give your furry friends a safe treat, Leo&Lucky’s stocks a wide variety of holiday stocking stuffers. We have holiday-themed toys, Earth Animal No Hide (a great rawhide alternative), holiday cookies and treats, and pet calming if necessary.
And, while you’re making your preparations for the holidays, be sure that Fido and Whiskers are looking their best for all of those holiday photos and visits. Give The Spa at Leo&Lucky’s grooming room a call at 941-776-9524 to schedule a holiday grooming session. Be sure to book early, as appointments fill quickly this time of year. If we are currently booked, we always have availability at our self-serve pet wash. Pop in during store hours to discover how easy and affordable it is to bathe your pet with our ergonomic elevated washtubs, free shampoo, and professional dryers.