Rotational diets can vary in proteins (chicken, beef, bison, etc.) and food forms (raw, frozen, wet/canned, dry/kibble, freeze-dried). Rotational feeding gives your pet a healthy range of essential nutrients and proteins, and flavor variety, that they would not receive on only one type of food. Various components like amino and fatty acids, moisture, vitamins, and minerals will differ based on the food.
A variable diet will allow for a more complete nutritional profile, and one that more closely mimics what a canine or feline would experience in the wild. Pets may be more likely to develop food allergies or intolerances when fed the same food everyday. For this and many other reasons, Leo&Lucky’s has always recommended rotating pet foods.
So how can you use our Frequent Buyer Program AND provide your pets with a rotational diet?
- You are already enrolled in the Frequent Buyer Program when you provide us your phone number at checkout.
- Most brands of food at Leo&Lucky’s are buy 10, get 1 free, on a 12 month timeline.
- The most important thing to remember is that Leo&Lucky’s Frequent Buyer Program is SIZE and BRAND specific. Pet food companies want you to rotate, too, for the health of your pets, and will allow you to switch up the proteins and flavors.
To rotate kibble, vary the proteins/flavors. You can purchase chicken one week, beef the next, then salmon, and so on. We recommend buying small bags to help you figure out which foods are winners (and reach your free bag that much sooner!) Add pet-specific bone broth or raw goat milk from our freezer to provide adequate hydration.
All canned foods at Leo&Lucky’s are buy 10 cases, get 1 case free and you can vary the protein/flavor within the brand line. Canned foods are full of moisture to promote adequate hydration and are a favorite of fussy eaters.
If you’re interested in introducing some beneficial frozen foods into your pet’s diet, we highly recommend it! You can use these foods as a treat, on top of your pet’s kibble (ask us how to reduce the kibble when doing so to prevent a calorie surplus), or feed frozen exclusively. Many pet owners “never go back” to kibble after they experience the benefits of frozen foods (non-smelly poo, anyone?)
You can use our buy 10, get 1 free Frequent Buyer Program with frozen foods, too. As with kibble and wet food, you can vary the proteins and flavors within a brand. A couple of notes:
- Primal brand’s frozen and 14oz freeze-dried foods are protein specific (AKA, you can’t vary the flavors), but there is no timeline restriction.
- Stella&Chewy’s frozen and freeze-dried foods are buy 12, get 1 free at Leo&Lucky’s, but allow for an 18 month timeline.
How to feed rotationally
To begin a rotational diet, first get the ok from your veterinarian, and start small. Small amounts of new food blended into the old diet will be less likely to cause tummy troubles than switching all at once, which is not recommended. Whenever you are rotating to the next type of food, make a slow introduction:
- Start with mixing 75% old food with 25% new food for 2-3 days.
- If this seems well with your pet, do a 50% combination of old and new foods for 2-3 days.
- Move on to 25% old food and 75% new food, again for 2-3 days.
- If your pet isn’t showing negative symptoms, you’re ready to feed 100% new food.
You will learn your pet’s particular system and what they can handle when making a food change. Adding some canned 100% pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) or raw goat milk (found in our freezer) can help ease the transition.
If you have any questions about pet nutrition, please feel free to pop by the store or give us a call. Your pets will enjoy a more balanced and varied diet!
* Acana, Heritage, and Orijen are buy 12, get 1 free on a 12-month timeline